Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Thats All




I realized today that Uncle Tony is definitely my father's brother, he's always humming, but he hums Chinese Opera instead of Worship songs. And he always just drives me around with him and wants to make sure I have every physical need met. We went to the market place today and then he drove me around to see Clear Water Bay. At the market he kept asking me if I wanted this or that, he would not leave until I picked at least one thing out. I want to go back and see Clear Water Bay sometime when I can stop and have a look around; there is a little beach there. The bay is the bottom of a bowl made by the surrounding low rising mountains and then the ocean. There was this old rickety looking boat in the bay, and a little beach.
Honestly I don't have much insights today, I went to work with Anna EE, she helped me prep for my classes tomorrow, which will be like tutoring little kids two or three at a time. I’m nervous and excited, I don't know how to prepare myself so I figure I'll just go with it when I get there. I walked around and shopped a bit in the crevices of Causeway Bay. You could miss it totally but there is a free air market just in between these building and it's so small and crowded and you can't try anything on, but stuff is like so cheap, a shirt for two dollars US, and a skirt for 5 dollars US. I didn't buy much, just window shopped, got used to the area a little, tomorrow I'll remember to bring my camera cause it's messy and beautiful. And I saw some fruit stands that made me so happy, but I was embarrassed to buy the fruit, even though I've been looking forward to eating tropical fruits and stuff so much. I need to get over this insecurity stuff. Honestly, as I've been here I've realized how shallow I really am. I always want to do good, and then I get hesitant and unsure of myself and then I go to great lengths to try and hide. At some point I just have to slap myself a little and say "Chung, Yin-lai you are being ridiculous, who cares if you buy fruit or not.”
In this setting, where you’re at the mercy of a culture of hospitality, I find it is best to just say yes to whatever anyone offers anything to you. Unless you are eating and really full already, then you say yes and take as many small bites as you can without going too fast, or too slow so they don't try to offer you more. I feel like “Yes” girl, oh well.
Auntie Anita has warmed up quite a bit, we ate breakfast together and she communicated with me, I wanted to say some Cantonese to her but was still hesitant and shy. One of these days I'll just get over it, but it is really harder than it should be...maybe I should pray about it.
That’s all.
Amen.

No comments: