Monday, July 16, 2007
Flying over the Pacific in an Airbus
Its times like these when I appreciate the little things, like old jazz music and being able to more or less type with your eyes closed. Aside from this splitting headache I am doing will. I feel much better than I had first anticipated. I have this crazy TV screen under my seat that I can pull out and watch whatever I want. So I was watching Grey's Anatomy and its pretty much drama...there's a love triangle, that's original. But something caught my attention, this character who is Asian American, and she's just lost a baby a fallopian tube and a boyfriend all at once, but she still insists on not resting and she wants to work. She becomes obsessed with solving this patient mystery; the patient is being taken care of by her x- boyfriend. IN the end it turns out she was right all along and the guy never listened to her, the last scene I saw was her crying suddenly after hearing the news saying, " I was right, I was right," over and over again .So I was trying to sleep unsuccessfully partly because I couldn't shake the image of this very brave, yet hurting woman break down. And I couldn't figure out, besides the obvious hormonal weirdness that comes from loosing part of your womanhood, and motherhood at once. I think it was that she had lost so much at once and she didn't gain much in return. I started to cry thinking about it, about how it feels to loose all at once, but I think it is also that we gain a lot at once too. When I arrive in Hong Kong, it will be around three o'clock in the morning Pacific Standard Time on July the 13th, but in fact it will be 7 pm Hong Kong time. Its like being in a time warp, I will have lost an entire day. I was thinking about what I could say in Cantonese to my family. In my limited vocabulary I could manage to say, " Ngo ho gui, buk gwo ngo ho hoi sum la," it will probably sound like children talk to them, but it means I am very tired, but very happy. I will have lost some sleep, and an entire day, which is not exactly like loosing part of your body, but its something. Yet, I will have gained an entire city, a moving city crowded and dirty and smells of garbage and dust around. I will have gained more importantly my family. The ones I love but never see. This felt more meaningful actually when it was in my mind and when I was crying and not really knowing why. It is 7 pm my time, the exact time tomorrow I will arrive in Hong Kong. I think I'll attempt to sleep again and hopefully not cascade into weepy a weepy emotional state due to the fact that I’m 35 thousand feet above ground over a vast expanse of ocean at five hundred miles an hour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment