Saturday, August 11, 2007

Super Naughty Fat Boy


Today I got to go to the country side of HK to see my cousin Rita's place. I really liked it, you know me, I like the country and scenery stuff. It took maybe an hour to get there and the crew of younger cousins joined us, Billy, Vivien, Eric, Anna and I. By younger what I really mean is under fourty, because well most of them are my seniors by no less than ten years. Although I think ages are different in HK, these days people don't get married until maybe thirty or late twenties because of money I think. Its so expensive to by a house. Ok, so we went there and the streets are all bumpy and narrow. There are tropical trees on every side, with big ole leaves an such. And then we parked on the side of the "road", and a foot or so away is this little drop off into the tropicl forest or what not. It was wicked. Eric tried to convince me that it would be safe to jump down, but I thought I'd not try my luck. There wer also actual house looking houses. Most houses in HK are more like what we would call apartments really, but you buy them like condos. They were still in apartment form, close together, however there was little yards and the like and in general more space. Rita and Justin have a quaint little house that is pretty antique style inside.
We also met their sons, whose names elude me at the moment...but actually they are cats. One is knicknamed "super naughty fat boy", he is quite frisky although he is ho fei, that is very fat. And it was hilarious because Vivien is very afraid of cats and kept hiding behind Billy and squeeking every time one walked within a three foot radius of her. It was wierd the cats are sort of like dogs, and they sort of obey and sit...stuff like that.
I had a good time, just clowning around and hanging out, although they have a habit of talking in chinese so fastly and I can't understand very much anyways. Eric I think got so bored he fell asleep on the couch. The evening was fun for me, the busted out the piano and Rita and I sand some worship songs together, that was my favorite part. That part felt like home. Justin busted out his old out of tune guitar, which I tuned but it still sounded like a dying cat. I miss playing my guitar ah. Anna and Rita play the piano, but Anna totally busted out with these complicated memorized peices of piano music. I knew most of them because my eldest sister Vivian used to play them all the time. Wah, it was very impressive. Listening to her play felt like I was back in Portland sitting on our old couch and being a little kid with glasses half the size of her face.
Then they took me out for some dinner and the food was delicious, as usual, and I stuffed my face, as usual, and felt like a cow afterwards, as usual. Sometimes is difficult not knowing how to communicate or understand what people are saying. I found myself sort of fading into the noise of people slurping soup, and the sound of the AC, people's chopsticks clanking against the bowls and the general clamour of people laughing and talking in cantonese. I wanted to make a rule that they can only speak english for like ten minutes so I could feel more a part of what was going on...but then I'd feel sort of like I was in my classroom. At the same time, I felt very cared for, at least in the way they express it. I felt honored because all of this getting together and driving around and eating was for me. It was a treat designed to let me see more of HK, a treat of which I am most thankful. I'm glad I'm getting around to understanding that if I asked they would have abliged me, which is a comforting thought.

No comments: